Friday, March 28, 2008

$21,000 for each Brady


Martha giving Campbell the last sip of her bottle


So I've been feeling great over the past few days about Campbell coming home. I even made a comment on yesterday's post about her coming home next Tuesday. So after CPR class last night (don't get me started about this class), we went back to see Campbell and do one more feeding. She did great at the feeding!

Well, the nurse practitioner came around to do her night time assessment of Campbell. She asked us if anyone has told us about the countdown to coming home? We told her no so she explained to us about not having a brady (decrease in her heartrate- very normal for preemies) for 7 days . . . at this point I pipe up and brag on Campbell about not having any bradys in many days and how the reflux medicine has fixed that problem. Right when I said that . . . with Campbell sound asleep in her crib (right after a feeding) guess what . . . SHE HAD A BRADY!!!!!! This means that Campbell just bought herself another 7 days in the NICU. On a funny side note . . . every brady equals another $21,000 added to her bill ($3,000 a day for 7 days). Because of this last night, I'm adding a "countdown to coming home" window on the right. I'll update this with the "last brady" and feedings from the last 24 hours.

She also must feed for 3 days straight from a bottle or nursing and take at least her minimum amount (which right now is 34 mL but will go up according to her weight). This is more complicated than it sounds and 1 reason is that right now she has up to 30 minutes to take a bottle and she needs to take it in 10 to 15 minutes to show that she's a "vigorous" eater.

4 comments:

Julia said...

Campbell, that wasn't nice of you to have a brady after your daddy bragged so about you to the nurse. But that's OK if you need a little longer to get adjusted to this old world we understand. Your mommy and daddy are getting really anxious for you to come home and I can't blame them; you are such a cutie! Keep eating and try not to have anymore bradys!
Love
Cousin Susan

Grandma and Grandpa said...

Robbie and Martha, don't get discouraged. She'll be home before you know it. For the time being, enjoy sleeping all night. We love you both and are just excited as you are to bring her home, but it will happen when the time is right. Only God knows that timing.
love you!!!!

Julia said...

Robbie and Martha,
When I got up as usual I checked on Campbell. I took the time this morning to go back and look how far she has come. It has been an amazing journey and I would like to take this time to thank both of you for sharing that journey with me and everyone else who might be watching. Watching Campbell grow has strengthen my faith in how God works in our lives. Thank you so much for the inspiration both of you have given to all of us.
HELLO CAMPBELL!!!
Love
Cousin Susan

Anonymous said...

Jen and Finn checking in...finally! We have both been sick and haven't even wanted to check email for fear that we will spread germs magically to others! But we have said our prayers everynight and...Wow, over 4lbs and all this going home talk is so exciting! Robbie and Martha...get lots and lots and lots of sleep NOW. I can not even tell you....okay I can, but I wont! I think the next wager should be which one of you will say out loud first that they miss the magic nurse fairies doing the middle of the night duties!!! Trust me on this and you better text me when it happens! Love you guys and everyone...stay well!